Monday, April 11, 2011

Today's Tidbit

Well for today's tidbit I'd like to mention that on this day in 1981 Eddie Van Halen married actress Valarie Bertinelli who was co star of the then hit show "One day at a time". At the time that show was considered pretty controversial to tackle the storyline of a single mother raising kids without a father. Things have sure changed. I know I will be dating myself by saying so but I used to watch that show and owned a Van Halen t-shirt when I was in high school.

Here is some live footage of what Van Halen was up to in 1981 musically.

Unchained Live 1981


I was actually at a Van Halen concert in 1986 for the 5150 tour in Toronto Canada when Sammy Hagar was the new lead singer. {Sammy is also known to own the Cabo Wabo Tequila brand and restaurant chain].I remember being surprised at how good Sammy was on guitar and how amazing the bass solo was. I actually was underwhelmed by Eddie's solo. I recall Eddie mostly sitting the entire solo which was so unlike what I'd seen and heard of him. At the time Eddie seemed bored with the guitar which he'd seemingly mastered and he was playing around with synthesizers which weren't overly popular then. He did a lot of that in the concert as well. Then again maybe he was just hung over and tired that leg of the tour. Here is a clip from the 5150 tour in 1986. I couldn't find one from the Toronto concert but from new haven instead.

5150 concert footage from New Haven 1986


Staying on topic, who remembers this?

No comments:

Post a Comment